Notice: Undefined index: wgAuthManagerAutoConfig in /brick/storage/premium/web_env/www_apps/ritpedia/extensions/PluggableAuth/includes/PluggableAuthHooks.php on line 21
Difference between revisions of "Phi Delta Theta" - RITpedia
(Undo revision 2440 by KMH2039 (Talk))
m (Reverted edits by GEW4607 (Talk) to last revision by KMH2039)
Line 17: Line 17:
 
==History==
 
==History==
 
===National Founding===
 
===National Founding===
Phi Beta Kappa was the first Greek letter organization founded in the United States when it was created on December 5, 1776, at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. In 1839, Beta Theta Pi was founded at Miami University in Ohio. In protest against the president of the university, members of Beta Theta Pi and another fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi, blocked the entrances of the main educational and administrative building in what became known as the ''Great Snowball Rebellion'' of 1847.
+
{{main-article|w:Phi Delta Theta#Founding{{!}}Phi Delta Theta on Wikipedia}}
  
'''The "Immortal Six" of Phi Delta Theta:'''
 
 
{| border=0
 
| [[Image:robert morrison.jpg]] Robert Morrison (1822–1902)
 
| [[Image:john lindley.jpg]] John Wolfe Lindley (1826–1907)
 
|-
 
| [[Image:Ardivan rodgers.jpg]] Ardivan Walker Rodgers (1824–1856)
 
| [[Image:andrew rogers.jpg]] Andrew Watts Rogers (1833–1901)
 
|-
 
| [[Image:john wilson.jpg]] John McMillan Wilson (1825–1874)
 
| [[Image:robert drake.jpg]]Robert Thompson Drake (1822–1873)
 
|}
 
 
A year later, after the president expelled most of the students involved in the uprising, Phi Delta Theta was formed. Six men staying in a dormitory the day after Christmas formed the Greek-letter society. Robert Morrison, a senior, proposed to fellow classmate John McMillan Wilson that they bond together to form a secret society. They invited juniors Robert Thompson Drake and John Wolfe Lindley and sophomores Ardivan Walker Rodgers and Andrew Watts Rogers into the fold. These men are known today as "The Immortal Six." The first meeting was held in Wilson's room at Old North Hall, now called Elliott Hall
 
 
[[Image:200px-Founders room.jpg|thumb|200px|left|Room where Phi Delta Theta was founded. It is used by undergraduates of the parent chapter in recognition of achievement]]
 
 
During the early meetings, the Founders wrote The Bond of Phi Delta Theta, which is the fundamental law of the fraternity. It has remained unchanged ever since, and so far as is known, it is believed to be the only document of any fraternity of such a character. Morrison designed the shield form of the badge, with the eye as an emblem, while Wilson suggested the scroll with the Greek letters on it. The first branch of Phi Delta Theta was founded at Indiana University in 1849. Fearing punishment from the university, the activities of the fraternity were sub rosa for its first three years of existence. Phi Delta Theta also took an unusual step, unique among all fraternities, of splitting into two chapters at both Miami and Centre College, so their meetings would be smaller and attract less attention.Eventually, as the organization attracted new individuals into their membership including prominent university officials, members began to openly wear their badges indicating their affiliation.
 
 
===Local Founding===
 
===Local Founding===
  

Revision as of 08:15, 20 May 2010

Phi Delta Theta
Phi delta theta.jpg
Chapter NY Eta
Recognition February 7, 1986
Type Social Fraternity
President Christopher Mullarkey
Advisor Molly McGowan
Members 45 Undergraduates
Website http://rit.phideltatheta.org

Phi Delta Theta, commonly referred to on campus as "Phi Delt", is a social fraternity at the Rochester Institute of Technology. The RIT chapter is referred to as the NY Eta Chapter. It was founded on February 7, 1986 and currently has about 45 undergraduate members.

History

National Founding

Main Article: Phi Delta Theta on Wikipedia


Local Founding

Phi Delta Theta New York Eta chapter was installed February 7, 1986. Although Phi Delta Theta has only existed at RIT since 1986, the chapter has existed much longer. When the chapter was originally founded May 16, 1960 it was known as Sigma Beta Rho, a professional business fraternity with the goal of receiving a charter from a well known national business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi. A little under a year later, their goal was reached, and on March 5, 1961 the chapter was issued a charter from Delta Sigma Pi, becoming the Epsilon Lambda chapter.

Delta Sigma Pi Grand President Homer T. Brewer presents Epsilon Lambda chapter charter to new chapter's president, Iry Van Slyke, at installation dinner Saturday evening.

By 1962, the chapter had been given a house at RIT on the top floor of the Helen Fish building, and by many, was viewed as a social fraternity. Many had suggested to the chapter that it should officially become a social fraternity, but the chapter did not agree.


"Although we do engage in a limited number of social events, it is not our purpose to ever become or compete with a social fraternity."
-The Executive Committee Epsilon Lambda of Delta Sigma Pi (October 5, 1962)


For the next 22 years, Delta Sigma Pi operated under the title of a business fraternity, but acted more as a social fraternity, and began to ignore its national obligations. For one thing, the chapter began accepting students who were not business majors; this was directly against the purpose of the chapter, as it was a business fraternity. Also, the chapter was obligated to go coed, but at the time RIT would not allow a coed fraternity to exist.

In 1984, Delta Sigma Pi put the Epsilon Lambda chapter at RIT on probation for not operating in accordance with its national policies. The chapter had a problem; they could not change to adhere to the national policies due to the policies at RIT. So instead they decided to explore the possibility of becoming a social fraternity. Then in 1985 the Epsilon Lambda chapter dropped its national affiliation and refounded themselves as Nu Delta Sigma. This new fraternity was created to show the chapter had separated itself from Delta Sigma Pi, and was ready to become a social fraternity. The house then created an executive committee to choose three possible choices for what social fraternity to become.

The committee presented the choices to the house, and the house took a vote; the chapter was to become Phi Delta Theta. After a short colonization period, on February 7, 1986, 39 brothers of Nu Delta Sig were initiated as brothers of the New York Eta chapter of Phi Delta Theta. The founders of the new chapter were brothers which had pledged Delta Sigma Pi; in Bond order, Andrew A. Tapparo, Brent S. Lessman, Ray A. Linton, Peter D. Reikes, Peter J. Szczesniak, Mark S. Courtney, Matthew J. Mullady.

Current Officers

Position Name
President* Christopher Mullarkey
Vice President* Robert Bingham
Treasurer* James Cassidy
Phikeia Educator* Brian Nuzzo
Secretary* Nate Couper
Warden Aaron Miller
VP of Recruitment Greg Warchol
VP of Academic Affairs Nate Couper
Risk Management Chairman Adam Luvshis
Alumni Ambassador John O'Bryan
Philanthropy Chairman Mike Mattana
Social Chairman Austin McLeod

*Indicates Executive Board Position

Events

Snow Bowl

Pitch-a-Tent