Mark Ellingson (1936-1969) started at the institute as a teacher. During his term as president, the institute was able to increase the endowment from $1.5 million in 1937 to $20.8 million three years later. An important merger between the Empire School of Printing and the Mechanics Institute took place in 1937. In 1944, the Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute was renamed Rochester Institute of Technology. During Ellingson's presidency, RIT revised its decision regarding awarding degrees. Under Ellingson's direction, the university began planning for the Henrietta campus in 1961.