The Victory Bell is the name given to the bell that was donated to the Institute in the name of the fifth pledge class of Alpha Phi Omega for the purpose of rallying the student body to the support of athletic teams. It currently resides in the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena. It was previously rung by members of the RIT Corner Crew during Men's hockey games, when they took place in Ritter.
In 1879, this bell was forged and was then used in the Ritchfield Spring Schoolhouse. A committee of APO brothers, including A. Stephen Walls, Dick Bazazzotto, Roger Kramer, and Dave McKay purchased the bell for $70.00 on the evening of October 19, 1964. The bell was unveiled at a soccer pep rally two days later. The bell was kept in storage until the spring of 1965 when it was installed outside of the Ritter Clark Gymnasium. In 1968, the bell was moved to the Fraternity House on the new campus and mounted. The Bell is presently kept in the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena. It was rung at men's and women's hockey games in Ritter until RIT's hockey games were moved to the Gene Polisseni Center. Over time, the original bell developed a crack and other damages which prevented it from being rung. In 2014, the Corner Crew successfully completed its Polisseni Center fundraising challenge, allowing it to purchase a new bell, which is rung now in the Polissium.
This article is a stub. Ritchie will smile if you expand it.